The Benjamin Franklin Gates House is an historic home and farm complex located on the north side of Lee Road, just east of where Mix Road intersects from the south. Gates, the descendant of English colonists who had moved from Massachusetts to Ontario County, in turn moved to Barre around 1830. His initial purchase of 10 acres was enlarged with 19 acres the following year, creating the present lot. The house was built around that time. The house is centered on a Greek Revival style house using the unusual stacked-plank structural system. Its stacked-plank structural system may have been employed due to the surplus of wood from land being cleared at the time and the dearth of skilled carpenters in the area. Gates was a pioneer in the settlement of Barre who established the first tannery in the town and later became one of its most prominent early citizens. The tannery burned down sometime before 1874.
The Town of Barre, NY, website is in no way all-inclusive of information about our town government or community. The Town of Barre maintains this website to enhance public access to information. This service is continually under development, and we will make every effort to keep this site current, and to correct errors that are brought to our attention. Some pages on this website contain hypertext links to information created and maintained by other public or private organizations. Please be aware that we do not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of this outside information. Furthermore, the inclusion of such links is not intended to reflect their importance, or that we endorse any views expressed about products or services offered by that organization.