A Right-to-Farm Community

F.A.Q.'s Highway
& Water
& Codes
& Taxes

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Town of Barre Codes

The Town of Barre Codes are now available on-line. Please click here to view them.

Animal Control or Help With Troublesome Animals

Please call the Orleans County Dispatcher at (585) 589 - 5527 for animal control or nuisance animal issues within the Town of Barre.

Dog Restrictions in the Town of Barre

It is unlawful for dog owners within the Town of Barre to allow their dogs to engage in habitual howling, barking, crying or whining or conduct itself in such a manner as to unreasonably and habitually disturb the comfort of persons other than the dog owner. There is no leash law for dogs in the Town of Barre.

Dog Licenses

All dog licenses are now being handled entirely by the Town of Barre. For renewals, make sure you have a current rabies vaccination for your dog. You may obtain a dog license for dogs over 4 months of age from the Town Clerk at our Town Hall Offices on West Barre Road in Barre. Annual license fee is six dollars for a spayed or neutered dog, and fifteen dollars for an unspayed or unneutered dog. A spay/neuter certificate may be required. Please contact the Town Clerk for more information.

Free Rabies Clinic Proof of Vaccinations

If your pet was vaccinated against Rabies at a local Free Rabies Clinic, please contact the Orleans County Health Department at (585) 589 - 3278, or click here to visit them on-line.

Refuse, Trash, or Garbage Collection

County-wide refuse is collected by Modern Corp. They can be contacted by calling (800) 330 - 7107.

Recycle Bins

Green recycling bins may be purchased for $6.50 each from the County Real Property Office in Albion at Courthouse Square. Only if you have built a new home are you entitled to a free bin. Call (585) 589 - 5400 for more information.

Obtaining a Marriage Licenses

You may acquire any necessary forms from the Town Clerk at our Town Hall Offices on West Barre Road in Barre. Marriage licenses are provided by appointment only. For a complete, up-to-date listing of questions and answers about how to get married anywhere in New York State, please click here.

Copies of Marriage Records

You may obtain a certified copy of a marriage license issued in the Town of Barre from the Town Clerk at our Town Hall Offices on West Barre Road. Expect a ten dollar fee. For a thirty dollar fee, you may also obtain a copy from the New York State Department of Health by writing to:

Certification Unit
Vital Records Section
New York State Dept. of Health
P.O. Box 2602
Albany, NY 12220-2602

Helpful Genealogy Resources

  • Swan Library ~ (585) 589 - 4246, or click here to visit them on-line.
  • Orleans County GenWeb Page ~ click here to visit them on-line.
  • Rootsweb Genealogy for Barre, NY ~ Click here to visit them on-line.
  • Please check with the Town Clerk to see what other available records the Town of Barre may be able to provide.

Road Maintenance and Responsibility

The Town of Barre encompasses Town, County, and State roads. Please note that the Town of Barre plows both Town and County roads in the winter. If your mailbox was knocked over by a plow, and you live on a Town or County road, please contact the Town of Barre Highway Department.

Star Exemption Application

Click here to view and print a New York State Star Exemption Application in Adobe PDF format.

Albion School Taxes

For questions about Albion School Taxes, please call the Albion Central School District at (585) 589-2054.

Viewing Town and County Tax Bills

Residents of the Town of Barre can now look up all tax bills on-line by visiting http://egov.basny.com/barre/.

Property Tax Information

Town of Barre Tax Bills are mailed at the end of December each year. The payment schedule is as follows:

  • Jan 1 - Jan 31: No penalty
  • Feb 1 - Feb 28: 1 % penalty
  • Mar 1 - Mar 31: 2 % penalty
  • Apr 1 - Apr 30: 3 % penalty plus $1.00 notice fee

Unpaid tax rolls are surrendered to the Orleans County Treasurer on May 1st. Please contact the County Treasurer at (585) 589 - 5353 for specific amount owing.

Water Bills

Water meters are read at the beginning of January, April, July, and October of each year. Bills are mailed 1 1/2 - 2 weeks after meters are read. Penalty-free payments are accepted by mail, or in person at the Town Hall Offices for 30 days after bills are mailed out to customers. Penalties incur after 30 days.

Water District 5

Meters for hook-ups are available at the Town Hall during regular business hours.

Hunting and Fishing Seasons, Licenses, and Regulations

Hunting, fishing, and trapping in New York State are regulated by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. Orleans County is located in Region 8 of the DEC. You may call their office for more information at (585) 226 - 2466.
Click here to read more information about hunting in New York State.
Click here to read more information about freshwater fishing in New York State.

Town of Barre Board Meetings

All meetings are open to the public, and are held at the Town of Barre Town Hall Offices, 14317 West Barre Road. The Batavia Daily News is the official paper where all legals are published. Contact the Town Clerk for more information. For up-to-date Meeting Dates & Times, please refer to that link on our Home Page.

Department of Motor Vehicles

You may contact the Orleans County DMV by calling (585) 589 - 3214, or click here to visit them on-line.

Parking Permits for Persons with Disabilities

In order to obtain a New York State disabilities parking permit, your doctor must fill out an MV-664 (PDF available by clicking here). This form must be brought to the Town Clerk in the town where you reside, where you'll be required to present your Driver's License, or your non-drivers ID. Please note that a prescription from the Doctor will NOT be accepted in lieu of a completed MV-664.

The Barre Town Park

The new Barre Park offers the public a regulation baseball diamond, and a multi-use field for soccer, football, or softball. Additionally, a playground and a little league field are available for the young ones. Park hours are from sunrise to sunset. To schedule games on the playing fields please contact Larry Gaylard at 585-590-9968.