Code Enforcement Official & Building Inspector: Shellye Dale-Hall
Normal Hours: Mon and Thurs 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Phone: 585-589-5100 ext. 5
Emergencies: cell 585-734-8377
The Town of Barre Codes are now available on-line. Please click here to view them.
Specific questions not answered here? Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Applications for Building Permits are available in the Town Hall lobby or you may download and print an application here. Return your completed application to the Town Hall Offices at 14317 West Barre Road. Please note: this file is viewed with Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not already have this program, click on the image to the right to download it for FREE.
If you are considering building, remodeling, replacing, converting or installing, this information should help to answer some general questions on what you need a building permit for. The actual building permit process is a method for the Town to ensure that construction meets the intent of local and State Law requirements under the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention Building Code and the Town of Barre Zoning Regulations.
Here is a list of the most common items a homeowner would need to have a permit for. However, if you are unsure, please check with the Zoning/ Building Department before you start.
- Decks, porches, entry ways: even when tearing down an old one to replace with a new one.
- Swimming Pools: both in ground and above ground
- Garages, Pole Barns, Sheds, Carports: attached or unattached
- New homes, Modular, and Manufactured Housing
- Additions to any existing building or structure
- Structural changes: Including new roof trusses, rafters, re-pitch of a roof, and replacement of part or all sections of a foundation, load bearing walls, headers, columns, piers, and floor joists.,
- Window and doors: Replacement windows and doors of the same size do not require a building permit. However, new windows and doors that are larger or smaller or in different positions do require a permit.
- Handicap accessibility
- Change of use: converting from one use to another, for example converting a garage to living space.
- Wood stoves, fireplaces, exterior wood burning stoves, chimney relines
- Demolition or removal of any and all buildings
For your convenience, you may click here to view a copy of the Town of Barre Zoning Regulations.
Click here for an application for a Town of Barre Zoning Board of Appeals Publing Hearing.
Click here for an application for a Town of Barre Planning Board Public Hearing.
Click here to download a Short Environmental Assessment Form - Appendix B.